Business in the Community
Business in the Community (BITC) is a business led charity with a growing membership of over 850 companies. Their Corporate Responsibility (CR) Index is the UK’s leading voluntary benchmark of corporate responsibility. It helps companies to integrate and improve CR throughout their operations by providing a systematic approach to managing, measurin
g and reporting on business impacts in society and on the environment. For the past ten years, CR Index has inspired and challenged over 350 companies to continuously improve their impact on society and the environment. Companiesparticipate publicly and use or tool to both improve their management practices and communicate to stakeholders how seriously they take their CR agenda.
Toyota Manufacturing UK is a member of BITC and we work with the organisation to measure and report on our progress and to illustrate the action we are taking to improve the impact of operations, products and services on society and the environment.
In 2013, the BITC revamped the index to challenge and stretch companies. For the 2014 CR Index (reporting 2013 activity), 98 companies submitted publicly to the index to report on the impact they had on society and the environment through their business activities. The index explores four key areas - the environment, community, marketplace and workplace and, from this, we can compare our values and strategy into responsible business practice.
Toyota Manufacturing UK was awarded 2.5 stars in the new index format.
To view a copy of the Business in the Community 2014 CR Index, please click on the link.
Business in the Community 'Give and Gain'
Annually, the BITC organise a nationwide day of volunteering and encourage their members to get involved within their local community.
In 2013 and 2014, Toyota Manufacturing UK joined the Give and Gain brand of 13,000 volunteers by teaming up with the Education Team at Rosliston Forestry Centre in South Derbyshire. The Toyota team of volunteers supported the centre by completing various projects within the forest.
Business in the Community ‘Big Tick’ awards
Business in the Community’s Awards for Excellence showcase the best of responsible business in action and are the UK’s most influential, independent, peer assessed corporate responsibility awards.
Awards are offered in the following categories- Impact on Society, Community, Environment, Market Place, Workplace and Leadership.
Toyota Manufacturing UK’s ‘Big Tick’ Awards for Excellence
- 2005 ‘Big Tick’ Award for Excellence reaccreditation for zero waste to landfill.
- 2004 ‘Big Tick’ Award for Excellence for achieving zero waste to landfill.
- 2007 ‘Big Tick’ Award for Excellence for waste water recycling.
- 2008 ‘Big Tick’ Award for Excellence reaccreditation for waste water recycling
- 2008 ‘Big Tick’ Award for Excellence for Environmental Leadership
- 2009 'Big Tick' Award for Excellence for Climate Change
- 2009 'Big Tick' Award for Excellence for Environmental Leadership (re-accreditation)
- 2010 'Big Tick' Award for Environmental Leadership
- 2010 'Big Tick' Award for Excellence for Climate Change (re-accreditation)
- 2011 'Big Tick' Award for Environmental Leadership (re-accreditation)
- 2011 'Big Tick' Award for Excellence for Climate Change (re-accreditation)
- 2014 'Big Tick' Award for Excellence - Sustainable Products and Services
- 2015 Business in the Community Regional Winner & National Finalist - Employee Wellbeing
- 2015 Business in the Community - Sustainable Products and Services (re-accreditation)